Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pete and the Repeater

It was April 16th, 2009.

I was at work, gmail chatting about tax money. The thread reads as follows:

Scott: sooo... .what is the damage?
me: I'm expected to get about a grand back
Scott: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
me: 400 from Federal and 600 from state
12:55 PM

Scott: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Electrix Repeater????
HeySus Christo, that is awesome.
me: Nah...
not yet
hmm...maybe
I don't know
I want an i-pod too
Scott: hehe
repeater!
1:00 PM

me: Yeah, you're right
I could probably swing both...
Maybe.
Scott: Yeah!
me: I just hate to spend all the money at once on one thing.
Scott: Does this mean we'll have to go to Chicago to buy gear?
me: You know?
Ahhh.
I don't know
Only way I can get a reapeater is ebay.
Scott: haha - nah, I know. It's good to hang on to some cash, for sure!
I can't believe they stopped making that.


1:07 PM

me: looking up repeaters now
Scott: lol
me: Look at what you've got me doing!
Scott: awesome!
I am a good influence


1:11 PM

me: And I've found one for $600!!!!
Scott: That's good?
me:
let me see
Bidding ends tomorrow
Ahhh...what am I going to do!
Scott: when do you get your funds?
me: Should I just get it?
Scott: With what?
me: Next friday
Scott: hmmm
me: But I get paid this friday
Scott: Well, check it out thoroughly ya know, seller history/references, etc...
me: yeah
I don't even have an ebay account
Scott: do you have a paypal acct, tho?
me: no
I know
it's actually only $530
Scott: Well, you might be able to check it out late tonight when ya have more time, and set up the accts, if ya want to. Otherwise, I am sure there will be more on the market!
me: But that's definitely the cheapest one I've seen
Scott: Wow... of course, the bidding could spike as the dealine approaches.


1:20 PM

Where is the seller located?
me: I can't figure it out.
I'm trying to look
it just says he's from the US but he has great feedback responses
Scott: that's weird... I thought they usually had more specific info.
me: he hasn't sold anything in the last year...he has a blue star but the comments left were very positive
http://myworld.ebay.com/cellowings
Scott: cool - I just pulled it up
oh - It's Bainbridge Island, WA... Right across the water from Seattle
Upper right of screen
me: oh..


1:30 PM

Scott: Yeah, that is a lot of good feeback, even from buyers
me: You think i should go for it?
Scott: Yeah - I'd drop the seller a line and inquire regarding any known problems... But it looks good, and comes with a foot pedal..
me: I wonder if he'd just sell it to me for a flat price
Damn you Scott!
Now I can't stop thinking about it!
I was going to buy wood to start my pedal board this weekend
Scott: Wood is cheap
me: But my heart needs that repeater!
AHHHHH
Scott: Awww
Sorry!
1:35 PM

btw - I think it is a chic sellin it
I was reading her feedback responses to other people
me: oooo even better!
Scott: that unit really does look pretty mint
I think I want one too
;)
me: and it's not too expensive!
Scott: word - go for it!
me: I think I will
THANKS!
when should I place the killer bid?
10 minutes before?
1:40 PM

Scott: I would be ready to make a little move in the last 2 minutes, actually
me: Ok, tonight I'm going to set up my account...
Then in the last two minutes make a bid at about 550
I know that's 20 dollars over but I really want this now.
Scott: Someone else might have a max bid set higher... If you thought 600 was fair, ya might wanna go that high
me: I think I'll risk 550
Scott: Cool




So, that evening, I set up my accounts and by later on that afternoon, the repeater was mine. Outbid those losers in the last 10 seconds. Sooooo didn't see that coming. It seemed like eternity for the repeater to arrive, mostly because I didn't realize that it took 3 business days for pay pal to verify a bank account, as well as another 5 business days to transfer the money to pay pal. But when it finally arrived on April 28th 2009...I was estatic!


I immediately ran to the laboratory and tried to figure it out. (very difficult without a manual) I knew I would be spending every moment I had with Repeat (that's her name) but my time with her was so short... I started building Big Blue (that's the pedal board 'his' name) causing the last time I touched her, to be the first.

I neglected her...

For over a month...

She was probably wondering why I bought her to begin with...as was I the other day. But in the last 72 hours, almost all of my spare time has gone to her. We've already created 2 new sweet songs that we'll bust out together on July 3rd @ City Art Supply. (w/.e and Bill Tucker and Friends)

I must say, I'm enjoying actually using delay pedals...as a delay pedal instead of a secondary and/or tertiary loop pedal with my previous set up. I'm very excited, and can't wait until Big Blue joins in all the fun. Plus, good Old Greg(g) just happens to have a midi footswitch controller laying around his place that I can use to join forces with The Repeater. Big Blue just might be big enough to hold all that hardware as well.

Speaking of the pedal board, it's almost finished. Waiting for the finish to dry and then I can apply all the accessories to my baby...

...dude...I tingle...

I think I might have it finished for the Viva Voce show next week...but I had to special order some parts today, so no promises...

...that is all...

~Syrhea

No comments:

Post a Comment