Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Saga of the Pedal Board (pt.2)

Right, well... Home Depot, Lowes...suck. Seriously I had to compromise on almost every piece of hardware that I purchased. I'm sure everything will still work out fine, but I was just overall disappointed. Apparently no one has ever heard of open hinges...couldn't find them in either store. Enough about that, I'll just rant on for the rest of the day...and theres' still so much to be done.



I did happen to pick up:

#2 Keyed Sash Locks

#2 Sash Locks

Heavy Duty Felt Pads

Chest Handle

Narrow Hinges

Wood Screws

Early Sunday morning, I started to cut up some wood when I realized that the sheet of wood my dad thought he had, actually wasn't long enough for what I needed. So I went back to Home Depot and had them cut some plywood up for me.

Apparently when you tell them to cut a 4x8 ft sheet into #2 2x4 ft, and #4 9x48 inch, leaving the remainder, that actually means #1 1.5x4 ft, #1 2.5x4 ft, and #4 10x48 in, which was the remainder. That was fun.

When it came down to measuring and cutting, my dad asked me how I was going to screw the pieces together.

"I was just going to cut each piece at an angle and start screwing"...I drew him this picture



"I could screw longer screws for this first one, but wouldn't the second on be better?" (pointing at the second image) My dad responded,

"What are you an idiot? That's the weakest possible way you could build this. What you need to do is this..." And he draws me the third image. "This way the pieces are supporting each other."

"Oh"

"You didn't didn't take this into consideration when you were calculating your measurements....did you."

"Nope...but that's cool, I added an extra 2 inches to length and depth because I predicted I'd do something wrong."

So I added an extra half an inch to my measurement of length only and we began cutting. It was fun, dusty, hot, and way harder than I expected. But as of now, all of my pieces are cut. This thing is pretty huge. I didn't realize how big it was until I saw all the pieces laying on the floor. (I might have to add some wheels to this equation.) When I'm finished typing this, I'll be heading down to sand these pieces and make sure the pedal board measurement will still be correct after making the last minute change.

I was really hoping to have this finished by this Saturday, so that I could use it for the stella show (with Asobi Seksu), but...eh...we'll see.

Off to get more splinters on my hands and sawdust debris in my lungs.

...that is all...

~Syrhea

No comments:

Post a Comment